04 September, 2011

Lentil Loaf

An easy Lentil Loaf with amazing flavour! I got the original ideas for this recipe from somewhere online but when I went back to look for the recipe I couldn't find the website! I am sorry I can't give credit where credit is due, but the oats and bread idea came from someone-else...I don't want to take credit for something that isn't mine :)






2C red lentils (it would probably work with green/brown ones too)
1C chicken stock (I used 1C water and added a chicken cube)
1/2C oats
2 Tbsp oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped small
1 carrot, chopped small
1/2 tomato, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
2/3 slices bread, chopped small
1 or 2 tsp curry powder
sprinkle of chilli flakes
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp applesauce

Simmer the lentils and stock together for 15 minutes and then leave to cool for 15 minutes. I ended up adding about a cup of water...just keep an eye on it as it cooks...
While that is sitting, toast the oats in the over for about 10 minutes.
Fry the garlic in the oil, then add the vegetables and saute til soft. Add the herbs and fry for a short while.
Throw all ingredients into the lentils and stir together - don't forget the applesauce.

Grease a loaf pan (or a round cake pan if you don't have one...it works!) and put your mixture into the pan. Bake at 350 for an hour or an hour and a half. The sides will brown and the top will be golden - and the kitchen will fill with a wonderful aroma!

Goes great with rice, in pita bread with plain yogurt, on toast, even tastes good cold...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!