23 July, 2010

Blender Mayonnaise

Store-bought mayonnaise was something of a luxury growing up; it was a treat we only got from South Africa or from over-seas because of the shortages in Zim. The local version (when you could find it) was good but has a strong, tangy, vinegary taste that is overpowering in any dish.
This is an easy and quick recipe for mayonnaise that my mom and I made often - it is whipped up in a blender and is just as good as the store-bought varieties. Its a receipe from an old book of my mom's and I'm afraid I do not remember the name of the book.

Blend:
1 egg
1 T white vinegar

Add:

½ tsp salt
¼ tsp Dry mustard
1/8 tsp Paprika
Dash red pepper

Add ½ C oil with blender slowly running

Stop and add 1 T lemon juice. Blend.

Then add another ½ C oil with blender slowly running.

Push down sides with spatula. Blend until fully combines. Refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment!